The C.V. Starr Fund for Asian/Pacific American Student Research is available by application to NYU students and scholars working on academic and/or community projects with particular emphasis on the New York metropolitan region. The goal of this Fund is to promote a convergence of theory and practice in A/P/A Studies and its related fields by providing financial support for research expenses and/or conference participation.
The C.V. Starr Fund for Asian/Pacific American Student Research is administered by the Asian/Pacific/American Institute at NYU, which serves as an international nexus of interactive exchange and access for scholars, cultural producers, and communities from New York and beyond.
NYU students and scholars may apply for up to $500 to support one of the following:
- Field work and research (may include travel expenses), or
- Conference and symposium participation (may include conference fees and travel)
Recipients may be awarded the grant up to two times maximum.
Applicants must submit
- A completed application form
- A one-page proposal describing the research project/thesis, or the intended conference and role in participation (e.g., attendee, presenter, panelist). The proposal should include a strategy on how the applicant’s project or conference participation will further the knowledge of Asian/Pacific/American Studies and add to the scholarship in the field. Preference will be given to research/field work in the New York area and to comparative studies.
- A detailed budget for the project
- Any other relevant supporting materials (optional)
- Applications for field work and research grants must be submitted by:
- September 16, 2019 for Fall 2019 research
- November 1, 2019 for J-Term 2020 research
- February 3, 2020 for Spring 2020 research
- May 15, 2020 for Summer 2020 research
- Applications for conference and symposium participation support must be submitted at least six weeks prior to conference start date
Grant awardees must provide the following within 30 days after research semester end or conference participation
- Receipts demonstrating how the award was expended
- A written summary of research/field work findings and next steps; or written summary of conference participation and copy of conference paper presented, if applicable
- Written acknowledgement of the C.V. Starr Fund and the Asian/Pacific/American Institute at NYU’s support in the final project, if applicable (e.g., publication, film credit, thesis), is required.
- Summer 2018 Awardees
- Spring 2018 Awardees
- J-Term 2019 Awardee
- Spring 2019 Awardees
- Summer 2019 Awardees
For more information, or to submit an application, email Laura Chen-Schultz at LC7@nyu.edu.