The South Asian Women’s Creative Collective is pleased to announce a call for submissions for its forthcoming annual exhibition, to be held at Cuchifritos Gallery, a non-profit art space that is supported by the Artists Alliance and is located in the Lower East Side’s Essex Street Market.
Scheduled as a sort of pop-up show between September 17 and October 2, this forthcoming exhibition will surround the thematic premise of “open/close”. Open to South Asian women artists, submissions will be considered that explore this theme in a wide range of medium. Prospective artists are invited (but not limited) to propose work that investigates this framework along artistic, theoretical, or sociopolitical lines within a local or global context, through the personal or the collective.
Given that Cuchifritos is located within a busy commercial setting that is often an informal meeting place for the Lower East Side’s diverse community, artists are encouraged to consider the context of exhibiting in a venue that is essentially a space within a space. How are the dynamics of an artwork altered or impacted by the bustling activities of an interior microcosm of the city? How might such an exhibition space affect or change the everyday happenings of an unsuspecting passerby?
– Artists must supply their own audio/visual media equipment.
– Art must be finished or in the process of, ready for installation at the time of notification.
– Entries must be original work(s) completed within the last 5 years.
Please forward this call widely.
Submission Deadline: Midnight August 22, 2011
Curator: Maymanah Farhat (art historian)
Submissions must include, as attachments:
– 8-10 JPEGS, 820 pixels wide or high, 100 dpi, titled as number & last name (ex. 1_Chaudhury)
– Resume as PDF or Word Document
– Website (if applicable)
In the body of email:
– Name and contact information
– Corresponding image list: Title, Date, Media and Dimensions
– Artist statement pertaining to above curatorial proposal
Artists will be responsible for bringing their works to and from the show and for all shipping, insurance and transportation costs incurred in this process. In special cases, the board will consider financial assistance. More detailed instructions on installation and pick-updates for accepted works will be communicated to the artists after the juried process.
Entry deadline: August 22nd, 2011
Notification: August 29th, 2011
472 total views, 2 views today