An Announcement and Request from DAAN member Beatrice Glow:
I have been awarded the Franklin Furnace Fund to create FLOATING LIBRARY for the month of September 2014, aboard the historic Lilac Museum Steamship located at Pier 25 along the Hudson River. This pop-up library will host a public reading space on the main deck, a listening room with sound art for introspection, a copy/scan room, workshops (book binding, mapmaking, DIY projects, etc), roundtables, debates (pirates, dreamers and think tanks), and performances. All library visitors will need to power-off their cell phones upon entering. Currently confirmed partnering organizations include Poets House and Center for Book Arts.
Given your network of interdisciplinary artists and thinkers, I am writing to see if you would be able to help spread the word:
1) PARTICIPATE/SHARE my OPEN CALL for unpublished/little known book projects, manifestoes, and artist writings. Submissions are due May 16th.
2) DONATE books with an emphasis on social movements, art, mapping, poetry, environmental health and children literature to build our reading material collection.
3) SOUND EQUIPMENT: DO you have leads to where I can get small-sized music players (small mp3 or ipods) and headphones either donated or on loan? I need 6 sets for the Listening Room installation. Here is the list of participating artists and a page indicating other items we need.
4) LIKE the Floating Library on Facebook to get updates on the progress!
5) VOLUNTEERS are needed to man the ship in September. Let me know if you have a few hours to spare and are interested in being onboard.
5) COME by the Floating Library Sept. 6- Oct. 3rd, Wed – Sun 2PM-7PM for some mental spa time!
———————c’est tout!————————- —————————-
I hope to hear from you and welcome any suggestions!
My very best,
751 total views, no views today