The C.V. Starr Fund for Asian/Pacific American Student Research is available by application to NYU students and scholars working on academic and/or community projects with particular emphasis on the New York metropolitan region. The goal of this Fund is to promote a convergence of theory and practice in A/P/A Studies and its related fields by providing financial support for research expenses and/or conference participation.
The C.V. Starr Fund for Asian/Pacific American Student Research is administered by the Asian/Pacific/American Institute at NYU, which serves as an international nexus of interactive exchange and access for scholars, cultural producers, and communities from New York and beyond.
NYU Students and Scholars can be awarded one research/conference grant per academic year, and may apply for a maximum of $500 to support one of the following:
- Field work and research (may include travel expenses), or
- Conference and symposium participation (may include conference fees and travel)
Applicants must submit:
- A completed application form
- A one-page proposal describing the research project/thesis, or the intended conference and role in participation (e.g., attendee, presenter, panelist). The proposal should include a strategy on how the applicant’s project or conference participation will further the knowledge of Asian/Pacific/American Studies and add to the scholarship in the field. Preference will be given to research/field work in the New York area and to comparative studies.
- A detailed budget for the project
- Any other relevant supporting materials (optional)
- Applications for field work and research grants must be submitted by:
- September 1, 2017 for Fall 2017 research
- November 1, 2017 for Winter 2018 research
- January 15, 2018 for Spring 2018 research
- March 15, 2018 for Summer 2018 research
- Applications for conference and symposium participation support must be submitted at least six weeks prior to conference start date
Grant awardees must provide the following within 30 days after research semester end or conference participation:
- Receipts demonstrating how the award was expended
- A written summary of research/field work findings and next steps; or written summary of conference participation and copy of conference paper presented, if applicable
- Written acknowledgement of the C.V. Starr Fund and the Asian/Pacific/American Institute at NYU’s support in the final project, if applicable (e.g., publication, film credit, thesis), is required.
For more information, or to submit this application, contact Laura Chen-Schultz, LC7@nyu.edu